Sunday, February 22, 2009

My busy guy~

















Yesterday Adam participated in a "mock" swim meet, with another Special Olympics team. It was a great idea to give them a feel for what the up and coming Area swim meet will be like. Adam's swimming has come so far, since last year. Last year he needed a life jacket to swim the length of the pool, this year he swims it without a life jacket, and he swims it strongly. He has also learned how to swim the backstroke, the butterfly, and breaststroke. Last year he only knew the freestyle. This is all thanks to his amazing coach, Coach Keanne. I can't praise him enough, he volunteers his time and knowledge 7 days a week all year long. Adam usually swims 4 days a week. Sometimes more sometimes less. We have seen this help in many areas in his life both behavioral and physical. We truly feel blessed to have found this amazing man (Thank you Leah, and Angela for hooking us up).

Today for the 3rd Sunday now, we went skiing. Adam is improving every time! We saw the most improvement today. We had Adam take a private lesson, since Mr. fun and I both know when we are not the best teachers for the job. They did teach him how to snow plow!!! Something we have been working on with him but not mastering. Adam has now mastered it! Sadly we wont be able to go next Sunday so, we hope this skill is not lost, and he picks right back up were we left the next Sunday. If I can ever figure out how to post videos I will get his swimming and skiing ones up.

I hope this doesn't sound like bragging. Though I realize it is just that.(I'm a proud momma, what can I say) My main reason to start this blog was in hopes that someone who just found out their child had down syndrome would see how typical their life could and would still be. So, it is for that reason I share~

6 comments:

Beverly said...

I love that he is skiing and swimming so well! Can't wait to see the video.

Leah Spring said...

Dear Adam, I love you. You're my honey bun. My peanut butter cup. You're crazy. I like your skiing pictures. I like your swimming picture. You swam fast and hard. Good job Adam. From Angela.

Brandie said...

Brag on! I enjoy reading about all of his accomplishments. I wish I could swim or ski as well as Adam!

JaybirdNWA said...

You have every right to be proud of him. I am proud of him and you both and I don't even know you. The way that you have integrated him into everyday life instead of putting him on a shelf because of his diagnosis is a real inspiration to us all. Thanks.

TUC said...

Be proud! And keep on sharing. The world needs to learn that people with Down syndrome deserve to be born. Parents pregnant with DS babies need to know that these children are wonderful blessings and worthwhile... only then will our world stop killing or institutionalizing them.

AZ Chapman said...

I would like to see the video. My email is vnavfam@gmail.com come visit