Tuesday, April 29, 2008

An Adam Story.....

A friend of mine who I talk to almost everyday :) likes to ask me "so, do you have an Adam story for me today?" And I usually do, he is quite the character and puts so many smiles on my face everyday. Okay, he also can make me want to pull my hair out, but even those times after a few hours (or days) I see the humor in the situation. This story happened last Tues. at softball practice. It was his second practice, they practice once a week and this is the first year Adam is on the "big guys" team. We got there about 5 min. late and I saw the entire team was spread out on the field while a coach hit balls to them, and 2 other coaches were out in the field helping. I told Adam to run out on the field and I went to join a couple of moms I knew watching from the sidelines. I heard one of the coaches ask Adam what his name was and I was pretty sure I heard him answer with a total straight face "Tom" the coach said "okay Tom, you go over there" and pointed where he wanted him. I said to my friend, "Aw I think Adam just told the coach his name is Tom" she laughed and said "oh you can't hear him from here, it probably just sounded like that" then the next coach comes over and says "what's your name?" This time we both heard "Tom". We started giggling at how funny the whole thing was, I didn't want to go out and stop practice and embarass Adam( okay, very unlikely Adam would get embarassed, he'd probably actually love the drama) I figured I'd let the coaches know at the end of practice.

Adam's buddy Zach was even later than us that evening, he came running out onto the field and went by Adam, the coach saw him and said "yeah go over by Tom" Zach (who also happens to have down syndrome) has a look on his face as if thinking are you an idiot, and says "thats not Tom, it's Adam" The coach then asks Adam again, "whats your name?" Adam again straight faced totally serious says "Zach" by this time us moms are laughing so hard I need to cross my legs:) The coach pointing down to my son Adam, says "which one of you owns this one" between gasps for air I raise my hand and say "that would be me" and in a jokingly frustrated voice says "WHATS HIS NAME????" I yell back "Adam, but you can call him Tom if you want."

For about 20 minutes Adam was in heaven, having 2 coaches think his name was and call him Tom. Ever since Adam was about 4 he has loved the names Tom, Tony, and Tim. We have no idea why or where this love came from. But all of his toy" guys" are named either Tom, Tim, or Tony. And for 20 minutes or so, he got to be Tom.............

No comments: